We have discovered a new type of conifer here - the Tamarack Tree ("though
the tamarack tree resembles other evergreens, it is actually a deciduous conifer, meaning that it sheds it’s needles every fall"). It is beautiful! I think the reason I love it is because it turns this amazing golden yellow color and the yellow against the backdrop of mostly green evergreens is stunning! (pictures below) We went on a very small hike / exploration trip yesterday and got to see the trees up close and also blazed a trail along a creek - over logs, under branches, across a fallen tree that was soft with age. The girls were muddy afterward, but happy! The reason the trip was short is because I'm a wimp. Yesterday was our first day of real cold and I was not dressed appropriately :) I did get used to it after a while, but by then the kids fingers were numb, so we hopped in the car and finished our sandwiches in the car.
Later that day we went to a friend's house and on the way (1.5 miles away), we must have seen at least 12 deer. Here is a picture of one of them that just posed for me about 5 feet away. CRAZY!
P.S. We also have a great restaurant at the bottom of the hill called "
Tamarack Brewing Company", it is a brewery and pretty fancy for our small town. Come visit and we'll take you for some local beer :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment