This morning was one of those days. One of those times I
never want to forget. My brother, Stephen, and I were at the beach with our 5
children. His daughter, Mallory, and son, Cruz, and my 3 children, Selah, Kiera and Mason.
All 7 of us spent a few hours at the beach this morning – digging holes,
searching for shells, jumping waves, swimming and most importantly, laughing.
For a good chunk of time all 7 of us were in the water jumping waves and
splashing and laughing and there was nothing else in the world. There wasn’t thinking
about needing to pack up and leave in a few hours, not thinking about my
grandmother in the hospital with a broken back, not thinking about the family I
wished were there with us (Nana, Grandpa, Ross and Ana), not thinking about
the fact that I hadn’t shaved my legs or if my stomach was sticking out or that
my hair looked crazy in the wind. The only thing I could think of was the feeling
of contentment and joy. The peaceful, beautiful smiles on the children’s faces.
The way Kiera said to me, Mom, isn’t this fun?, I replied with a grin on my
face, “Yes, sweetheart, this is the most fun!” I played with my kids today and I
enjoyed it. Thank you, Lord, for softening my heart. For allowing me to go on
vacation with my children and enjoy them. To not have to think about all the “things
I need to do”, to not think about what’s
for dinner or laundry or phone calls, but instead to just simply be present
with my kids. What a gift. I long for my days like today and I wonder what
simple changes I could make in my day-to-day once I get back home to capture
this feeling – to play with my children and not be plagued with a to do list.
Possibly a simpler dinner? Less commitments? Looking to God for my fulfillment
and value instead of what I get done? Enjoying time with my children instead of
seeking friends to fill holes of loneliness that only God is meant to fill?
 |
| Selah in the sand |
 |
| Zoning out after a morning of swimming |
 |
| burying Mason |
 |
| The crew burying Selah |
 |
| Uncle Stephen, Selah, Kiera |
 |
| Mallory |
 |
| Cruz |
No comments:
Post a Comment